Home | Freewill History | Church Records | Prominent Figures | Collections | References | About | Events  

Rev. Issac Scott

   REV. ISSAC SCOTT died at his residence near Wingville, Grant Co., Wis., Aug. 21, 1866, aged 69 year and 6 months.
   Father Scott experienced religion in early life, and united with the Presbyterian church in Chautauque Co., N.Y.. For a long time he felt that God was calling him to a more public life, and not being satisfied on the subject of baptism, he unbosomed his feelings to Rev. F. B. Tanner, by whom he was baptized, and was soon after licenced by the Chautauque Q. M. He preached for a time in western New York, in Chautauque and Cataraugus counties, whence he removed to Indiana, going with his family down the Alleghana [sic] and Ohio rivers on a raft. Arriving in that then new country, he united with the Franklin church, in the Ripley Q. M., with which he labored for some time. He afterwards united with the Switzerland Q. M., by which he was ordained in the fall of 1849, Revs. Lewis Gould and Ezekiel Sykes assisting in his ordination. For many years he continued to labor in that new country, suffering its toils and privations, often travelling many miles to attend funerals and hold protracted meetings; and had the priviliege of seeing many sinners converted to God.
   After preaching there for a number of years, laboring during the week and preaching Sundays, and often during the week, he removed to Freeport, Ill., and was for a time connected with the Rock River Q. M. About fifteen years ago he removed to Grant Co., Wis., then having but few inhabitants. Here he at once commenced preaching, and under his labors a flourishing church was built up, numbering at one time about sixty members.
   For some time father Scott was able to attend our Q. M. but little, yet he did what he could to advance the cause of his Master. He had ardently hoped and prayed that he might live to again see a revival of religion before he was called to go hence; but he has been called from labor to reward. The angel of death did not find him unprepared; he was ready for the summons. A few days before his death, he remarked to his companion and daughter that he knew in whom he had trusted, and that there was no fear in death.
   He leaves an aged widow, with whom he had lived nearly forty years, and nine children to mourn their loss; but they mourn not as those who have no hope. The family have lost a kind companion and father, the church an active laborer, the community in which he lived a good citizen. He was ever a friend to the oppressed, ready to lift his voice and give his vote in favor of the freedom of all. His funeral was attended on the 23d by a large and solemn assembly, witnessing by their tears their sympathy with the bereaved. Sermon on the occasion by the writer. Rev. P. Lansing assisted in the services.

L. D. Felt.

   The following resolution was passed at the last session of the LaFayette Q. M., of which father Scott was a member:
    Whereas God in his providence has, since our last Q. M., removed by death our aged and much loved brother, Rev. Issac Scott, therefore:
    Resolved, That in his death the Q. M. has lost a worthy minister, the community a bright example, one who loved the cause of God, was safe in counsel, and as full of self-sacrificing labors as he was full of years. We will cherish his memory and sympathize with his bereaved family.

L. D. F.
Morning Star, 1866